THE TORCH GINGER

Having always preferred taking a holistic approach towards treating the Goats i was more than eager game to try out using the Torch Ginger (or Bunga Kantan in Bahasa Malaysia) as a remedy for those runny noses sniffles that occurred amongst some of the Goats. I was told this by an old elderly Indonesian Goat farmer some time back that this was what he used.

bunga-kantan2

Flower In Bloom

I added only ONE stalk (600gm – 720 gm) which was shredded and mixed with the other greens for 6 Goats. This experiment proved to be rather successful as only 10 days down there was practically no more sniffles. The Goats seemed to like it and I later included and also added ONE stalk of the flower when and if there was one in bloom.

bunga-kantan3

Patch Of Bunga Kantan

Now we have started to plant more and have had to stagger the ration as this plant takes ages is very slow growing. Hopefully we will have enough to maintain feeding the whole herd in a few months time. Meanwhile i must confess that i have been asking around and raiding anyone’s garden who has any. Strange thing is everyone seems to not even use the buds for their cookinganymore. Sign of the times i suppose when most are too lazy not bothered to cook at home or come up with excuses neither adventurous in trying out recipe’s and prefer to eat out.

bunga-kantan00

Young Buds

3 comments on THE TORCH GINGER

1. fathersez
    1981 days ago
    February 18, 2009 at 6:34 pm

Hi, Kebun.

I did not know this. Thanks for sharing. Really useful information like this dies off with so called development.

I am not sure if we are going to try planting this (we already have one really slow growing plant, the Neem). But I’ll keep watch on your progress.

Cheers

BTW.

You don’t seem to have a contact me tab. Could you let me know your email in case I get a chance to come down to Kuching.

• thekebun
      1959 days ago
      March 11, 2009 at 8:02 pm

You can contact me at thekebun@yahoo.com. I can give you my contact number in private and in fact will be in KL next week. Cheers, Farmer Adrian.

2. Thomas
    1412 days ago
    September 10, 2010 at 10:44 am

Kindly please write to us if you are in position to supply torch ginger flowres.
    An early reply shall be much appreciated. Thank you.
    From: